I’ve been in full time employment for nearly two years now and I drive to my place of work every day. Sitting in rush hour traffic gives you far too much time to think, far too much time…
As my blog seems to be dedicated to my various thought processes, this post is dedicated to what annoys me about driving to work every day. I’m sure that a lot of people will read this post and relate my love/hate relationship with other commuters.
The double lane road
An example I will use for this is the main road I drive down to get to work, Abbeydale Road. At one point, the road forks into two sections for commuters to turn right onto Woodseats Road. Now, I fully acknowledge that with this stretch of road you are allowed to drive straight ahead in both lanes. However, when there is a massive queue of people waiting to go through the traffic lights in the left lane, it irritates me so much when drivers nip and go down the right lane. We are all British here, British people are not afraid to queue (whether we grumble about it or not), so poo poo to those people who can’t be bothered to queue for an extra two minutes and instead would rather block up the junction and actually make the waiting time longer!
The bus lane jumpers
Sheffield has a LOT of bus lanes, and many of the main roads in Sheffield will start out as public road, the slowly merge into a bus lane. Another irritating habit that some drivers of Sheffield will have is even though 99% of us have already prepared for the fact that the bus lane is coming and have merged into the other lane there are the 1% who will zoom straight down until right at the last minute and then expect you to just let them into your lane.
NO NO NO
This is the same problem with above, that people can’t bare to wait an extra couple of minutes and would rather block up and irritate other ‘well behaved’ motorists. And don’t give me an evil look when I won’t let you into my lane, you’re the one in the wrong, just acknowledge it.
But I want to cross here Pedestrians
Back onto Abbeydale Road again. There are plenty of traffic lights on this road, and yet there are so many people who will try and cross the road in a random place, in busy traffic when there is a crossing literally 5-10 metres down the road from them. And they won’t just do this when the traffic is stationary, I have had to swerve out the way of these stupid people before! What is the point? And don’t give me evil looks when you’re the one in the wrong.
It’s even worse in winter, when driving home at 5 o’clock means that it’s pitch black outside. The ‘but I want to cross here’ pedestrian are now camouflaged by their desire to wear all black clothing.
Please stop this, for your own safety and for my genuine fear that one day I’m going to hit someone =S
Cyclists who ignore the rules of the road
I don’t mind cyclists, no seriously I really don’t. What I do hate about cyclists though is when after they moan about cars not letting them cycle down the road, they then ignore the basic rule of the road – stop when the traffic light is red!!!!!
If you were in a car you’d get pulled over by the police, fined and given penalty points. But for some reason if you are on a bike, it’s perfectly acceptable. If you want to be respected on the road then abide by the rules of the road.
People who speed in 30 zones
You really don’t need to be there in that much of a hurry, it’s 30 for a reason, stop being a dick.